Author Archives: Anton Terblanche

Presidents Report: September 2019

I would like to say thank you to the outgoing committee for the job they have done over the past 12 months.

The Annual Dinner was a success with everyone having a great time. Guests from Wang Fly Fishing Club attended – secretary Ray Beavis and guest speaker Gary Scholz.

Gary gave a great presentation on his charity work in Peru. It was both entertaining and informative.

Everyone had a great night, from the meal to the raffles. Thanks to everyone in attendance. M.C. was Russell Hook (great job.)

The cooking was done by Dave Makin (food was excellent).

Thanks to the committee for making the night run smooth.

To our sponsors for their kind donations.

Thank you for your support.

To the non-committee members who helped thank you.

I’m looking forward to working with the members and the committee of the GFFC.
Bob Melville

 

President’s Report: August 2019

Another year draws to an end and our club’s annual general elections will be held at the next meeting, I would like to thank the club and this committee for another positive year. The outgoing committee members have continued to promote fly fishing through club activities like the Fly Fishing School, guest speakers at club meetings nights, work on the fishing pit with NSW fisheries, club fishing trips, fly tying days and social nights.
Legend
I would personally like to thank Des for being our treasurer once again, Stafford for an-other year as secretary keeping the minutes, Rob for his wealth of knowledge at the fly tying bench, Ike as the quartermaster, Russel for all his help and Les for all the work bring the library together, thank you job well done.

This committee has been one member short all year which has made it just a little harder on each of the members but I believe there are a number of new faces looking to join the committee this year which is fantastic for the club so I thank them for putting their hand up.

The club is in a stable financial position but will have a few new challenges next year like the new fishing pit opening, continuing pressure from increasing Council rates and the ground development at the Greenfield Park oval.

Les Perkins and Bryan Clyde have done a great job with the library and there are still a number of old magazines and books to be moved on if anyone is interested.

And just a quick reminder this meeting will be your last chance to book a seat at the annual dinner so please see Des with your money and he will take your order for the night so you don’t miss out. Some members have already donated to the raffle table which is fantastic, if you have a prize to donation see me at the meeting and I will be happy to record your donation which is very much appreciated by the club.

Tight lines
John

Presidents Report: July 2019

President’s Report

Now the trout season has closed there has been a bit more movement around the fly tying tables, starting with Rob Bailey’s fly tying classes and then it was Jim Baumgurtel magic fly fishing shop which appeared in the clubhouse with many dollars changed hands on the latest fly tying materials and gear.

We are getting closer to our annual dinner on the 17th August there are fliers around the club and in the newsletter, so if you are coming see Des with your money to confirm your spot. As normal there will be great food & wine plus good company, if everyone can chase up a prize or two we will also have another fantastic raffle table.

On a sad note, Ken McLean funeral was held last week with a number of Greenwell’s members attending his funeral; hope the fishing is good up there Ken.

The clubs AGM is not far away and I would ask anyone interested in serving on the committee to put your hand up, it is not a hard task and you are putting something back to the club. This year we have been down one committee member down and it just makes it that little bit harder on the others, so please think about it after all it is your club.

The RISE film festival is on again at the Good’s Shed Wodonga, Thursday 15th Au-gust starting at 7.30pm if anyone is interested in going.

The activity at this week’s meeting will be a talk on life jackets, why and where and their testing procedures.

Hope to see you at the meeting in front of the fire.

John

President’s Report: June 2019

Welcome to June and the close of the season just around the corner, the club has a few things happening this month with the start of the fly tying with Rob Bailey on the 16th and a visit from Jim Baumgurtel from FlyFinz on Friday the 21st to get you stocked with tying materials.

Last month we had a very interesting guest speaker Pablo Pescador and if his talk didn’t get you thinking about a fishing trip to Patagonia, well, I don’t know what would.
The committee had an update from Fisheries about the Gravel Pit and our plans for development of this fishery, signs and approvals are just about complete and things should start rolling out over the next few months. This site will provide a great opportunity for the club and our future activities and if policed hard by Fisheries a great fishery for years to come.

Just a quick fishing report on the Club’s trip to Eucumbene on the 10th and 11th May, we arrived at Denison to find no-one fishing, which is not a good sign and it was to prove correct, the river was low and not many fish had started their run. On Saturday we went to the Portal to find more fisherman but the same result, not many fish about and the lake was the same with no boats on the water, another bad sign. Water levels in the river where better here because of water coming from Tantangara outfall, It is now June and thing may have changed so good luck.

John

President’s Report: April 2019

Welcome to April the year seems to be flying, soon we will be talking about spawning runs and closed seasons. The club trip to Mitta Mitta was very well attended with 13 members camping or day tripping, the weather was fantastic and the fishing was OK you just had to put a bit of work to get a fish. Nymphing was the best method and as for dry well the Mitta did it again with a great hatch on Friday night but no fish rising to them.

Just a reminder daylight saving finishes on April 7th so there will be no BBQ’s before meetings until it starts again in October there for Wednesday will be your last opportunity to come along and have a cast on the oval before the meeting starts and those gourmet sausages roll out about 6.30pm.

Our guest speaker for next month (May) will be Pablo Pessacq, he is here working at La Trobe university until May and is a fly fishing guide in Patagonia, entomologist and keen fly fisherman, he has kindly offered to talk the club and inspire a trip to Argentina – Patagonia (how do I get a leave pass from the boss?) Pablo called in to the club on Friday night and was welcomed by members, he stayed for Rob’s Fly tying lesson and swapped some interesting facts on flies and tactics so his talk next month should be an interesting one.

The club has a trip planned for Pretty Valley and Rocky Valley on the 6th and 7th April so there will be more information at the meeting and taking of names, the next trip will be Eucumbene in May around the 10th.
Look forward to seeing you
John

President’s Report: March 2019

Well March is here and still no sign of a break in this hot weather, in fact the weather made us change our annual fly-fishing course run last weekend. A quick drive the week before found the Mitta still running dangerously high for beginners, and most of the other streams around Albury Wodonga very low. Corryong was decided as the location and a big thanks must go to Rob Bailey for running the course -he did a great job passing on his knowledge and skill to the students, plus the top line chefs for the weekend, Nick, Ike and Jeremy plus all the other members who put in a huge effort to make the course work.

Council is pushing ahead with the development of Greenfield Park as per the plans shown to the club months ago, the netball courts and new carparks are being done now, so we will try and keep on top of any actions that may affect the clubrooms and let you know.
Don’t forget the BBQ starts at 6pm on Wednesday night and casting practice on the oval, if you are having any problems with casting, set ups or the like this is a great time to sort out your problems.

The club saltwater trip is not moving that well so we may move it to a lake like Eildon, we will discuss it at the next meeting, while on the next meeting Les P will be give a talk on his experiences in USA so I look forward to seeing you at the meeting.

John

President’s Report: Jan/Feb 2019

Welcome back for a new year, as you know we have had weeks with the temperature around 40°C or higher which it makes it a hard to choose between going fishing or sit under the air conditioner and the higher temperatures have seen fish kills in Western rivers.

It is pleasing to report good numbers turning up for the Friday night get together and I hope it will be the same for the first club activity planned for the February meeting. The activity will be a Back to Basic fly casting night run by Rob B, this will be a great opportunity to refresh and re-start your casting. We all cast a line but this simple training could identify some of those little bad habits that have crept into our casting over the years. Club-rooms will be opened around 6pm.

Rob is also in final stages of the new fly tying course due to start on Sunday 16th June, the day will start around 9am and finishing with a BBQ lunch, more details as we get closer to the dates.

The fly course is not looking good, if you know of anyone interested in doing the course please get them to contact Stafford ASAP or we will need to cancel for this year.

On a sad note, our thoughts are with all the people in and around Miena, Tasmania, the bush fires have been making their lives pretty tough and we hope they all get through this dangerous time.

Just a quick reminder for all the members who have not paid their memberships they are well and truly overdue.

For those who ordered new Club shirts and caps will be available at the club-rooms on Wednesday night, there are a few spares for members who missed the order so first in.

Happy Fishing
John

President’s Report: December 2018

Christmas is just around the corner, so it is time for our Christmas drinks and nibble at the club-rooms, we will kick off around 6:00pm, food is free so please come along and enjoy one or two drinks and a great time. An added bonus is that when Hooky and myself where in New Zealand we found an international author wanting to somewhere to launch his latest fishing book, so we offered the Greenwell’s Christmas function and I am pleased to announce that there will be the world launch of his fantastic book during our Christmas function with all the fanfare that goes with such a special occasion.

Membership, please if you have not paid you membership as yet please do so as you are four months overdue, our fees are very small compared to other clubs so please make the Treasurers job a bit easier and pay so he is not chasing you up.

You have one last chance to order club shirts and peak caps, Des Walters has the order form just pay as you order or direct debit as we intend on fixing the order by the end of December.

Be warned we are going to be selling some of the 100’s of magazines in the library over the next few months, if you have missing numbers in any of your collections now would be the time to get a list of the missing ones there will be a lot of reading at very cheap prices what’s left will more than likely on of eBay or the like.

Just a quick reminder there is no official meeting in January but members will be here at 6:00pm, just bring your own BBQ meat etc.

Happy fishing
John

Presidents Report – November 2018

President’s Report

Apologies for last month’s meeting activity confusion (someone mainly me) forgot to check the exact date day light saving started plus it was raining, so you now have another chance to bring your rod along at 6pm on Wednesday to try different weight lines on your rod. You will be surprised to see how up sizing or sometimes downsizing will change your rods action and it could save you money if you are think of changing your rod because it doesn’t seem to cast well or it could also be you need a bit of practice so Wednesday night is for you.

The club will have an order form on Wednesday night for club shirts and caps, remember to bring some money along to place your order shirts will be $35 and Caps $15
Bryan Clyde and myself ventured off to the Wangaratta Fly Fishing Club Annual Dinner on the 26th October. We had a very pleasant night with good company and of course we walked away with some good prizes from their raffle table, it is a very good night so next year I hope some more members will make the effort to come along and support our fellow club.

By the November meeting Les Perkins should be back from the USA and have some nice stories to tell of his trip and fishing efforts.

Looking forward to seeing you Wednesday night.

John

President’s Report – October 2018

President’s Report
At the September meeting we had our first in house club garage sale which proved to be a success many items changed hands and there were plenty of bargains on sale, it was a great way to move some of those unwanted items everyone has in their fishing cave on to new homes.
The committee finalised the club calendars which will be on display at the next meeting so make sure you have your diary on hand to record those important dates.
By now the New South Wales season should be open and I guess you will all be out wetting a line, while on the topic of lines at the next meeting which will be a BBQ starting at 6:00pm and the daylight saving activity will be up sizing or down sizing your fly line to see how it effects your rod. Please bring your rod along so you can try the different lines that will be on hand, it will be a cheap way to see how your rod performs with different line weights you may find that your rod is a different beast just by changing the line. The committee is planning more of formal casting events before our summer meetings so please support the instructors and make the effort to bring your gear along and have a practice.
I also ask that any member thinking of an activity that the club may be interested in mention it to a committee member so we can look at making it an club activity.
John

« Older Entries