Category Archives: President’s Report

President’s Report: September 2018

President’s Report

The Victorian trout session started on the weekend and I hope everyone got the chance to get out and go for a fish, I think the best fishing could be before Christmas but let’s see what the season bring.

The club held its AGM last month and as a result there where some small changes to the committee, can I thank the outgoing committee members Bob Melville and Robert Chick for their fantastic work over the years, new committee member Les Perkins has taken on the role of Librarian and there has been a few changes to existing positions so refer to the committee index in Tippet Topics for the new roles.

August was a big month for the club with our AGM and our annual dinner, the dinner saw a different approach from years gone by in that we moved from a formal restaurant meal to a self-catered dinner at our club-rooms.

The dinner went well and the raffle table was another outstanding success, as a club we thank all the donations from our sponsors in and around Albury and Melbourne.
The club will be holding its first in house garage sale at the next meeting so I remind members to bring those unwanted fishing items for sale and please be at the club by 7pm to display your goods.

I also remind members to have a think about possible club trips and locations for the next meeting so we can formalise the club calendar for 2018-2019.

Great fishing
John

President’s Annual Report 2018

Our Annual General Meeting is this month, Wednesday August 1st. This will be your opportunity to elect, or be elected to, the committee for the coming year.

Also, August 18th is our annual dinner with partners/family. This event incorporates our major raffle with a vast assortment of great prizes on offer. Please make a selection from the menu, (located in this months Newsletter), and let Des Walters know after payment. Your participation is required for the success and enjoyment within our club. The moderate cost of $30.00 per person is testament to the value that the committee has on keeping interest and fellowship alive to encourage all members to participate in club activities.

During the year we finally achieved an outcome on our proposal to council for trout water at Wonga Wetlands Gravel Pit. The extent of success will be known in the next year or two.

The Introduction to fly-fishing course was a huge success, with several new members joining our club. Thanks to those who helped make this possible.

Many to thanks all committee members for their valuable assistance during the last year.

Russell Hook

President’s Report: July 2018

 
Update on our ‘Pit Proposal’. It looks like we have achieved most of what we applied for. Alistair McBurnie from DPI continues to liaise with council in regard to the ‘Pit’. We will probably become involved to assist Fisheries NSW with the monitoring fish size and numbers. This is a great outcome and a wonderful result for our club. DPI have also requested that they be able to use our name (Logo) when applying for funding for the expansion of the car-park.
 
Next month, the 1st August is our Annual General Meeting. All positions of the committee will become vacant, and elections for President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Committee members will take place. Please consider standing for election. 
 
The Annual dinner on August 18th will be at the club rooms at a cost of $30.00 per person.
 
As we missed out on the Casserole dinner in June, I suggest we make it July 21st . Please let someone on the committee know. This will be at $10.00 per person, with a discount if you supply a casserole or desert.
 
Ben Nieuwerth has a large amount of fly tying gear to offer to the club and members. Ben will bring it along on Wednesday night, the club to have first claim and then the remainder to be fairly offered to members.
 
Russell Hook

President’s Report: May 2018

The Jamieson trip was a great success by all accounts. Thanks to Rob bailey for his extremely professional trip information. Rob is also trip captain for Talbingo, at Russ Davies’ property, ‘Kinder Cottage’. Please watch out for information coming at our general meeting this Wednesday.

Committee members had a meeting with Kerry May from Council re our ‘Pit’ proposal. The outcome is that it becomes a trout fishing facility under management between Council and Fisheries NSW. This becomes virtually what we set out to achieve, without the overall responsibility. I hope we may have Alistair McBurnie and/or Cam Westerway from DPI at our meeting on Wednesday. If possible, they can fill us in with details or their talk with council.

Jim Baumgurtel (Fly Finz) will be at our club rooms on Friday May 11th, to show case all his goodies. Bring along your saved up pocket money. We intend to have a BBQ before hand and if you would like, please let me know if you would like an early start in the afternoon daylight to try & test out any of his rods. A comprehensive list of products can be searched on his web site, “flyfinz catalogue”. Jim’s prices are very competitive and his service and knowledge is vast. A great opportunity to pick up some new gear.

Russell Hook

Presidents Report: March 2018

Our Introduction to fly Fishing Course is over and was very successful. The weather was extremely testing, but I am sure those who took part enjoyed themselves. I sincerely thank John Hawkins, as education officer for his organisation and presentation skills. I also thank the many members who showed up during the theory nights and the weekend. To Pete & Rob, whose casting expertise ensured the success of the course, I give thanks.

A fly-fishing trip has been gazetted for later this month, March 24 & 25,. Please consider becoming a Trip Captain to organise this event. I have a prepared template to assist. This can be a day or a weekend event, staying at the picturesque caravan/camping site at Colac Colac.
This is an important side of our activities to engender enthusiasm and interest. To run an event is very easy and a great way to meet on the river with like-minded fishers to have fun and learn other aspects of fly-fishing.

The event will be cancelled if not enough interest is shown, Please consider!

At the meeting of March 7th, we will hear from Rob Bailey who will talk about the origins and history of Nymph Fishing, European method. An exciting talk given by one of our own members! Club will be open from 6:00pm on Wednesday for casting on the oval or adjacent area with sausage in bread ($2.00).

There are a few members who have not paid their subscriptions for 2017/18. Please check for the colour of your name in the Tippet Topics. Those in black are still outstanding!

Russell Hook

President’s Report: Jan/Feb 2018

Happy New Year to all!

It is with delight that I welcome Rob Bailey to our committee. Rob will bring a new level of expertise in the form of casting assistance and event ideas for club activities.

Albury Council has replied to our proposal for a casting, catch & release pond. The committee has formulated a response to their requests for further information and clarity on a couple of issues and now we wait for council to consider.

The heat has been taxing and river temperatures & flows have altered which means catches have been difficult. We can all hopefully look forward to a better year in 2018.

By the time you read this, you should have received a copy of a draft calendar of events for 2018. Please study and submit any ideas or improvements that you would like to include and consider being a trip organiser for any of the many fishing trips on offer. A template of information is available to be filled-in for any of the trips indicated.

February will be a busy month with the “Introduction to Fly Fishing Course” beginning Tuesday 20th, and Thursday 22nd. The weekend of 24th & 25th will be at Bowler Lane, camping at the Mitta Mitta River. Volunteer helpers are required to make this event a success. We have about 8 applicants so far which makes for a positive outcome for our club.

It has been proposed to hold casting skill and competition events on the oval during daylight saving times, before the general meeting nights. This is to help in-crease accuracy and precise landing of the fly. Come along and enjoy the activity.

Russell Hook

President’s Report: September 2017

I am pleased to announce that my spine has mended well, and the brace comes off on Sunday 3rd  of September.

My thanks to the committee for their wonderful assistance to make the Annual Dinner the success it became.

I remind those members who won gifts at the dinner raffle, to please personally acknowledge the donors, so they will continue their support of our club.

I will endeavour to list agenda items each month from here on.

Agenda for September 6th

  • Open: 7:30pm
  • Introduce guest speaker: Will Spry of Spry Fly New Zealand.
  • (See photo, & article below)
  • Attendance & Apologies: Recorded on circulated sheet.
  • Previous minutes/business arising:
  • Correspondence In/Out:
  • Financials: in Tippet Topics
  • General business:
    • Discussion re “Gone Fishing” activity at Noreuil Park Sunday 15th October 2017 9am – 3pm. Volunteers required for tent-cover erection, casting, fly tying, general display material etc.
    • Introduction to Fly Fishing course Oct 24th, 26th & 28-29 weekend.
  • Fishing reports:
  • Close:

 

Kelvin is delighted to report that he has been able to secure Will Spry of Spry Fly New Zealand to speak at our September meeting. Many will remember his late father, Mike, who is justifiably recognised as a pioneer in teaching and guiding fly fishing from a base in Khancoban and Will has carried on the tradition in NZ.

Will developed an interest in fishing by spin fishing the channels around Deniliquin and later his summer school holidays were spent assisting Mike with guided float fishing down the Swampy Plains River.

In 1993 Will moved to NZ and established a guiding business there which is now rightly recognised as one of the best in the country and it is obvious when you talk to him that his passion has not waned.

I thank our new committee member Kelvin Gilder for his comprehensive work in securing interesting guest speakers for our forthcoming general meetings.

Russell Hook

President’s Annual Report: 2017

Firstly, I would sincerely like to thank the committee for their assistance to me over this last year.

This month’s meeting is the Annual General Meeting. This gives all members the opportunity to elect or be elected to the committee for the coming year. All votes are important, and I urge everyone to attend and support the election process. Please consider being on the committee and give your experience towards supporting the club.

Friday night’s Fly Tying is being conducted during the off-season with materials and instructions available to produce the outstanding pattern you desire, and an opportunity to practice casting with assistance from other members. It is good to see quite a few members attending. Remember, these nights are occasions to have a social get together.

Our Annual dinner is again at the Siesta Resort, with a delicious menu and of course the traditional serving of smoked trout beginning at 6:30pm. This is our premier social event of the year. Please add your names to the white board and pre-pay Des Walters, so Des doesn’t need to be at the door collecting money on the night. You can also pay by direct deposit to the Hume bank. Details are in the Tippet Topics. Our guest speaker this year is a representative of the Royal Flying Doctor Service, which was instrumental in my transfer to Melbourne after my accident. The annual raffle will be running again with an exciting and comprehensive array of donated prizes.

During the year we had a small field attend our introduction to Fly Fishing. 

Des Walters introduced our members to European Nymphing techniques with a successful trip to the Mitta Mitta river.

Our Beef & Reef night was a great success with a wonderful roast beef & prawns.
Thanks to Russ Davies, a trip to Talbingo to compete with Wangaratta Fly Fishing Club was well attended.

We also had a visit from Jim Baumgurtel with his latest supply of gear.
The Face Book page is being well received with some great photos and articles supplied by members.

It has been very pleasing to have an increase in membership again his year.
Our submission to Albury Council to make the “Gravel Pit” trout water with casting facilities is with the Council for evaluation. We are waiting for their decision.
Russell Hook

President’s Report: June 2017

I wish it was under better circumstances that I am writing this report, unfortunately our President elect Russel has injured himself and will be out of action for a little while. On behalf of all the Greenwell’s members and all the local fly fishing clubs wish him a speedy recovery.

A group of members venture up to Talbingo on the 19th to the 22nd of May, Friday was fine and the trip to Denison found 30 cars in the carpark however the water was low and slow. Some fish had pushed up into the River but Friday night is when we saw a big drop of rain and the river became dirty but the fish started their annual run. By all reports there were 60 cars in the park on Saturday and 4 out of 5 fishermen where spin fishermen (interesting) bring back Fly Fishing Only that will take the pressure off the river?

Fly tying will start on the first Friday night after the closing weekend, now is the time to dust off your fly tying equipment so you are ready for another interesting session of tying with Les Hawkins. At the June meeting we will see what interest there is from all our new members and as in previous years the club will buy the materials to get you started.

The club is planning a trip to Khancoban on the 10th and 11th June, more information and names will be taken at the June meeting, this will be the Broken SAGE trophy week-end for teams.

Looking forward to seeing you in front of the log fire.

John Hawkins
Vice President

President’s Report: May 2017

Thanks to John Hawkins and the committee, for putting together a calendar of events for the next 6 months. A copy is available for all, and the white board will have provision for names to placed on it.

Our Pit proposal has been adjusted to reflect the information given by Alistair McBernie at last month’s meeting. We are waiting on letters of support from various persons and businesses to assist our submission to council. It looks promising from an interview with a council representative.

This month is the beginning of the spawning run for trout in the Eucumbene River and should be exciting, as the recent rains have helped to increase activity of the trout. Trout season closes on the June long weekend.

Russell Hook

« Older Entries